Saturday, September 4, 2010

He is Worthy

On September 3, 2010 Barbara, from the Oxford Baptist Church received this passage from God during her time of prayer and worship:

Psalm 46

1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.

5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.

6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

8 Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.

9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields with fire.

10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

On September 4, 2010 at approximately 4:30 am Barbara's house was right at the epicenter of the seventh largest earthquake in New Zealand's history. (Even larger than the earthquake that devastated Haiti earlier this year.) It reminded me of Amos 3:7 where God assures us that "Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing His plan to His servants the prophets".

God was speaking to me a lot this morning about the nature of true worship. I have often wondered what it really means to worship "in spirit and in truth". I still wonder. Perhaps that is a form of worship as well... standing open mouthed, staring blankly, wondering what on earth is going on... yet choosing to acknowledge that God is in control. And He's good. He's very, very good.
I find that I worship God most intensely and honestly when I am in a state of turmoil, confusion or pain. It is much easier to forget our desperate need for God in those times of "humdrum prosaic happiness". There was a line in one of the songs that we sang in worship this morning that said something about not letting our memories replace Your presence (speaking of God). It really struck me. How often do I rest upon the memories that I have of experiencing the intimacy of God's presence rather than striving after Him afresh? I know that to grow closer to God will require everything that I am, no half-hearted measures will do, so I find myself naturally remaining stagnant. Comfortable.
I long for the day when I can cry out along with Job, from a place of deep pain, turmoil and confusion: "though He slay me, yet will I praise Him".

He is worthy.

1 comment:

  1. I should mention that Barbara's story was only one of many miraculous events surrounding the earthquake. Everyone has their own "earthquake story". Mine, in keeping with God's sense of humour with me, took place in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete